Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This will be a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide.
💀 As rosters change in TEAMS, how does this impact systems that use TEAMS to auto-roster students? If a student transfers to my class, what if I need access to students’ previous work from a different BLEND course?
- Scheduling changes that are in Frontline SIS by 4:00 PM will be included in the nightly data export.
- The BLEND SIS Import begins every night at about 7:15 PM. Whatever information was current as of that day’s export will be reflected by the time the SIS Import is complete (usually about 9-10 hours later).
- In BLEND, student enrollments are concluded upon exiting a course. The student will be able to see their old course in Courses > All Courses > Past Enrollments.
- If the”’new” teacher needs to access that old work, the new teacher will need to be added as a co-teacher to the old course. That is, work always stays in the course in which it was submitted.
👹 Need an easy way to copy a module or individual BLEND item from one course to another? If you are a Teacher or Co-Teacher in a course you can use the Copy To function.
Watch this screencast that walks through the “Copy to” feature in BLEND!
A Canvas guide on the “Copy to” function is also available.
If you are a TA in a BLEND course, you can copy over content using this method from the Canvas guides.
🎃 Do you need help modifying or setting the “Due date” for a BLEND item (such as a BLEND assignment, graded discussion board, or quiz)?This official Canvas guide for due dates demonstrates the process. Remember that you can set different due dates for different sections if needed (e.g. A-day students have a BLEND assignment due on Monday before class ends while B-day students have that same BLEND assignment due on Tuesday).
🧟 UPDATED: To help make it easier for students to message me via the BLEND inbox, is there a way for me to create a link that I can embed on my BLEND homepage that will allow students to message me via the BLEND inbox?
You can! Watch this updated screencast to learn how to create a link that will allow students to message you via the BLEND inbox.
The link will have the format of:
You will change the values for COURSEID, USERID and BLENDNAME to your personal settings.
A student must be in your class in order to message your inbox.
Did you know…? You can also filter to message specific user groups (Students, Observers, TAs, etc) within a BLEND course. Watch this screencast to see a demonstration.
👺 I like New Quizzes because of their functionality in putting stimuli side-by-side with the questions attached to that stimulus. But I can’t add read-aloud support…can I?
You can! Even though the Rich Content Editor will not have the same “Record/Upload Media” functionality, you can use an external app to tool to record your mp3 or mp4 audio and/or video files and then upload them into the New Quiz. Additionally, know that students will NOT be able to easily submit recorded video and/or audio with a New Quiz: If you want this functionality, consider Classic (Old) Quizzes instead. Here is a screencast on how to upload voice audio read-aloud supports into a New Quiz.
Want to stick with Classic (Old) Quizzes? No worries! Here is a screencast on how to record read-aloud support in a Classic (Old) Quiz.
☠️ Are you experiencing issues when duplicating a New Quiz or copying it from one course to another?There is sometimes an issue with copying New Quizzes to another course where the New Quiz never finishes copying. Canvas is aware of the issue, and their engineers are currently looking into this behavior. The current workaround would be to duplicate the new quiz in the original course, and then to copy the duplicated quiz to the new course. Then, the New Quiz should transfer successfully.
🦇 I need a link refresher! How do I link things in BLEND? How do I relink a button?
How to link Music, Art, and PE buttons to those courses (Note: This might be especially helpful for elementary teachers as essential areas resume an ABC schedule)
How to link a Zoom Meeting to the Zoom Button on a Blueprint Home Page
How to Link a Homepage Button to the Campus Community Course
BLEND (Canvas) Tip – How to Create Links for IXL or Dreambox
🧜🏽♀️ Need some resources on concurrent teaching?
🕷️ Will the Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours still happen?
Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will happen on Mondays-Thursdays from 9:00-11:00 AM and 3:00-5:00 PM and on Fridays from 3:00-5:00 PM. Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.
👿 As rosters change in TEAMS, how does this impact Seesaw?
For Seesaw and new users/classes
- Scheduling changes that are in Frontline SIS by 4:00 PM will be included in the nightly data export. Seesaw roster changes may require an additional 24 hours when compared to BLEND.
- As an immediate and short term action, Seesaw admins can create user accounts for teachers (only necessary IF a teacher was not already a PK3 – 2nd teacher on the campus) and add them to the existing Seesaw classes as a co-teacher. This should allow the new teacher to see previously submitted work.
- Once the teacher is added via SIS → Clever, that access should just continue.
Students that are moved into new Seesaw classes will not have their work transfer over. Those Seesaw portfolios are still with the student, but they will only be visible to Seesaw admin. If caregivers want to keep the student’s portfolio, teachers can suggest that caregivers download the Seesaw journals using this Seesaw guide.