In our new world of roomers and zoomers, we are all just trying to survive. What does survival look like to you? Is it nearpod, google classroom (ssshhh… I won’t tell anyone), BLEND, Playposit or a good old fashion lecture? Between home life & work, we try to find a balance, a place where we are satisfied and not run down. With all the new digital things being launched at teachers, I decided to pick one, just one to work towards. In this new digital world, I attempted a digital interactive notebook. I was inspired by another teacher, Melissa Prepster, when I attended her tips and tricks session over the summer training. If anyone needs to be bottled up & duplicated, it is that lady! Amazing ideas and ways to engage digitally were just thrown around, like no big deal. I just attempted one. That is all I could handle at the moment.
Pros to online notebook-
- All students were online at the time, online organized notebook makes sense
- No copies to be made
- No gluing into, losing paper, leaving notebook at home
- A live student copy for me/TA/parent to peak at whenever I needed
Cons, so far, to the online notebook-
- Takes a bit of time to set up and distribute pages (40 min for the weeks material)
- Takes some time for students to organize their google drive
- Creating a new notebook each grading period (cuts down lag time when students open notebook)
- I think I have forgotten how to write with a pen and paper
I now create a new notebook (googleslide) for each student, each grading period, and cut and paste slides from my “Master” notebook. I beg/borrowed/stole the idea for push slides, from Alice Keeler, https://alicekeeler.com/. I create a new notebook for each student through that code, then “ctrl +” which opens multiple tabs at one time and add in the notes that I need the student to complete for that day. As I move forward with this concept, I’m excited to see where I can do with it! I actually presented this topic at the BLEND Summit Remix. Below is a link to my presentation and my 5th six weeks notebook to peak at. Enjoy and stay sane!
My REMIX BLEND googleslide
My 5th six weeks science notebook
7th Science, CIC & Cheer, @mrsmoccia via twitter, During COVID, I got a hobby- ChIcKeNs. I enjoy them way too much and we have conversations. We built cluckingham palace and started with 13 ladies. I’m down to 9.