Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This will be a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide.The Weekly Lessons Learned Archive contains a list of topics from and links to previous updates.
Where can I find out more about the teacher-facing resource associated with my BLEND blueprints?
- This video highlights various supports provided in the blueprints.
How can students add Chrome extensions and apps to their Chromebook profiles?
- Students can now access safe and approved Chrome extensions and Chrome apps from the AISD Chrome Webstore.
- This short video demonstrates how students can install these extensions. https://youtu.be/zrE7M4c6BYE
- Students seeing “no resources” in the store should delete the browser cookies for the Web Store.
I created a Playposit bulb and assigned it. Why can’t I see my students?
- students are rostered into a bulb when they open their FIRST bulb within a BLEND course.
- each bulb is assigned to a course and rosters don’t travel outside of a course.
- exceptions: we don’t tend to do this, but if the bulb is assigned outside of BLEND (parents or students via SeeSaw) and bulb specifically doesn’t require login, then no roster is created.
I created a Google Assignment in BLEND, or am using the blueprint with a Google Assignment. Why can’t my students see the assignment?
- For any Google Assignments within your course, make sure to Link your Google account to at least one assignment in each BLEND course. Students cannot begin working on any Google Assignments until you link your teacher account, even if the Google Assignment is published.
How can I use Google Assignments to share Jamboard templates?
- This videos demonstrates how teachers can give each student their own copy of a Jamboard template to submit as their own product. https://youtu.be/QEQUkDIsTms
How do I set a page as Homepage in BLEND?
- If you want students to see a home page when they enter your BLEND course instead of looking at module view, you will need to set the home page in your course to be the pages front page.
How can I create a clickable link for a phone number?
- Highlight the phone number on the page and create an external link.
- In the link field, type tel: followed by the phone number.
- For example, to create a link to 512-555-6666, I would type tel:1512555666 as the link
- When a user using the Canvas app clicks the link, the will be taken to their phone app.
I copied content from another course and it is not showing up in my course. Should I import again?
- The import process can take up to several minutes depending on how much content is being imported. Please wait for the content to import.
- Importing the same content multiple times will create multiple copies of content, make your course difficult to navigate, and increase the size of your course making it slow to respond.
What are some useful student-facing videos to support the blueprints?
- Student view of the Google Assignment Process
- How To Submit A File Upload From Google Drive in BLEND (ENGLISH)
- BLEND/Canvas Media Recording Submission Silent Screencast
Where can I find the Tech Design Team BLEND videos?
- You can visit our youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPLLsLPr3xzF7tKMO_XnrQg or
- Go directly to the BLEND playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2sf0RY_HJB9jVj59sZTskxLua0R3LyUv
How can I rename my Seesaw class?
- Students will be rostered in multiple Seesaw classes (Homeroom and Essential Areas). We recommend that HOMEROOM teachers rename their class with an asterisk (*) in front of the class name in order for the class to show up first.
- Also consider adding an emoji to help students easily identify classes.
- Want more hot tips to start Seesaw the seesaw year? Seesaw Guide 21-22
Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours
The Technology Design Team is hosting virtual office hours to help provide real time instructional technology support in the first weeks of school. Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will happen on Monday-Friday from 8:00-9:00 AM , 11:00AM-1:00PM and 3:00-4:00 PM. Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.
If you have a technical support issue (device repair or setup, access to systems, etc), please create a ServiceNow ticket to have a technician address your concern.