Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This is a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide. The Weekly Lessons Learned Archive contains a list of topics from and links to previous updates.
Announcing the new TDT web presence.
Looking for answers? Needing technology-related training? Do you have a hard time finding some of the technology resources that may have been shared with you before?
Announcing the new and improved Technology Design Team website! This new site will link Austin ISD Staff to resources for Blended and Personalized Learning, technology used in the classroom, professional learning and more!
Bookmark http://bit.ly/tdthome today!
What alternative to Discovery Ed is available?
- PBS Learning Media is available for free.
- Sign up using your Austin ISD Google account.
- You can then share links with students.
- There is no need to have students sign up.
There’s a new Chrome extension available for Austin ISD students – MyBib!
- MyBib: Free Citation Generator is free and does not share any personal student information.
- This video demonstrates how students can access installable extensions.
Will there be new SEL and CP&I Advisory/Homeroom Activities for the 2nd 9 weeks?
- Yes! The SEL and CP&I team has added the 2nd nine weeks of resources to the spreadsheet found in the Blueprint Update and Teacher Resources 🚫Do NOT Publish 🚫 module found in:
- Elementary Reading blueprint
- Secondary Advisory blueprints.
How does the BLEND SchoolCity integration look and work?
- The SchoolCity/BLEND Integration page has this information. (Austin ISD only)
What grading options are available in BLEND?
- BLEND allows teachers to set Late Submission policies
- Setting a Late Submission policy affects all assignments in a course, including assignments with due dates in the past.
- To exclude a specific assignment, mark the submission as something other than Late in the Grade Detail Tray.
- Teachers can set a default grade for an assignment.
- Teachers can message groups of students directly from the gradebook.
- Teachers may also filter their gradebook view to make grading a bit more focused.
How can I get the grades for students who have been concluded from my BLEND course?
- This silent screencast demonstrates the process of displaying concluded students.
- This step set also demonstrates the process.
What can I preview using Student View in BLEND/Canvas? What is not able to be previewed?
- This guide explains what you will be able to see if you utilize the student view to preview content before publishing it to your students. Some important things to note below:
- Student View can preview
- Images in the course (broken images in Student View means the graphic is in a different course)
- Embedded content
- Module view, if enabled
- Published content
- Student View can’t preview
- Any LTI/External Tool (Google Docs, Textbook Integrations, BrainPop, etc)
- Google Assignments (The Student View has no Google connection.)
- Unpublished content
Is there a way for students to watch videos embedded in BLEND AND still be blocked from watching videos on the YouTube site?
- On Chromebooks: If a video is embedded on a BLEND page, YouTube.com can be blocked in GoGuardian AND students can watch the embedded video.
- For students on iPads, use Jamf Teacher “whitelist” site for students. If YouTube is not on the whitelist, students can view embedded videos in BLEND/the Canvas app, but will be unable to go to YouTube in the Safari browser.
What are some examples of teachers who have effectively used district device management systems (GoGuardian or Jamf Teacher/Apple Classroom) in their AISD classrooms?
- Read about how one Austin ISD teacher is using GoGuardian to increase student engagement.
- Read how a 3rd grade teacher uses GoGuardian to help students troubleshoot and stay on task.
- Watch videos from a Kindergarten teacher on using Apple Classroom
Which Dual Language courses receive blueprint content?
- K-2 Dual Language has one BLEND course that receives blueprinted content
- Reading SpaDL
- 3-5 grade Dual Language students have six BLEND courses that receive blueprint content
- Homeroom (digital citizenship content)
- Reading EngDL (integrated ELA & Soc Studies)
- Reading SpaDL (Spanish LA)
Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours
To better serve teachers, we have shifted office hours.
The Technology Design Team is hosting virtual office hours to help provide real time instructional technology support in the first weeks of school. Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will happen on Monday-Friday from 10:30 am to 1:30pm.
Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.
If you have a technical support issue (device repair or setup, access to systems, etc), please create a ServiceNow ticket to have a technician address your concern.